WRAPS Grant Funds General Information
A WRAPS fund has been established to finance WRAPS projects. For State Fiscal Year (SFY) 2006 and 2007, $2 million has been awarded. The 2005 and 2006 Kansas legislature appropriated $800 thousand from the Kansas Water Plan to be matched with $1.2 million EPA Section 319 grant funds from Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2005 and FFY 2006. These funds have been allocated to various WRAPS projects, and the next round of applications is anticipated to begin sometime in the spring of 2007. Funds from other sources may be available to implement WRAPS projects including:
- State Conservation Commission - *Water Resources Program, NPS Pollution Program Riparian & Wetland, Watershed Dam Construction Program, Buffer Initiative Program.
- Natural Resource Conservation Service - *Environmental Quality Incentives Program: Base and Water Conservation, Wetland Reserve Program, Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program, Public Law 566, Farm and Ranchland Protection Program, Grassland Reserve Program.
- Ks Department of Wildlife and Parks - *Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program, Community Lakes Program, Biological Monitoring Program.
- Farm Service Agency - *Conservation Reserve Program
- Kansas Association for Conservation and Environmental Education- *WRAPS Watershed Information & Education Grants
Anyone may apply for WRAPS funds, but a framework phase or a combination of phases must be identified, for example Development, Assessment, Planning and Implementation (link to process page). The four phases are suggested to be completed in chronological order, so in order to apply for Implementation projects the previous 3 phases, Development, Assessment and Planning should be complete.
The Grant Application period is typically in the spring, and is completed online via the Kansas Clean Water System (KCW). The KCW is a comprehensive application and grant reporting program that allows for prospective projects to apply for funds, and if awarded, manage the project online. As part of the grant conditions, quarterly reports and quarterly affidavits of expenditures are required to be completed online.
The WRAPS Grant Application is a two-part process. Applicants submit a Proposal via the Kansas Clean Water System. Once all proposals are received, they are reviewed by the Work Group to determine if they qualify for WRAPS funds. Projects that qualify for funding are asked to proceed to the second part of the application process, which is to submit a Project Implementation Plan (PIP). This is a detailed application that specifies the goals of the project in detail, how and when the goals will be achieved and the estimated budget. PIP's are typically due in the fall, and are reviewed by the Work Group. The Work Group recommends approved projects for funding to the State Water Agency Coordination(SWAC). Upon SWAC approval, WRAPS grant funds are awarded starting at the beginning of the state fiscal year (July 1).